Subscribe to our YouTube channel for more videos like this one! Learn how to protect your home, your loved ones, yourself and your belongings.
To understand why an apartment security system is important, consider how people choose which residences to burgle and which to bypass.
The same burglary methods apply to single- and multi-family dwellings: burglars will most often strike during the day, and they look for empty homes with easy access, plenty of cover, and the best escape routes. More than 30% of all burglars access a residence through an unlocked or open door or window.2
Deterring a burglar is often as easy as making it seem like someone's home during the day, removing hiding spots around your home, and locking everything down tight. Even the mere presence of a security camera is enough to deter nearly two-thirds of burglars.3
If someone does break in, an alarm lets them know that authorities are on the way, limiting the amount of time they have to grab your valuables and run off. In a larger apartment complex, an alarm also helps attract the attention of neighbors and witnesses.
Compared to homeowners, renters do have a few extra things to consider when choosing a security system.
- Renters usually need to stick with DIY security installations to avoid invasive hardwiring and mounting.
- Placing a camera outside a rental may be problematic if it has a clear view into another unit.
- Renters may want to avoid long-term security contracts if they don't plan to stay in the same residence for more than a few years.
- Renters may be expected to share new keys or PINs with their landlords if they install a more secure door lock or a smart lock.
- Renters should consider security companies with transparent, customer-friendly policies around transferring the monitoring service or moving the equipment.
Don't worry if that sounds like a lot to wade through. We've already vetted the top brands and chosen the best home security systems for renters to make your decision easier.
You can also check out our guide to apartment security for extra tips.